Seeking medical help

node leader

Seeking medical help when you first develop symptoms of narcolepsy can be very daunting.

Visit your GP

Your first point of contact should be with your regular GP who will take a history and decide what the next steps are.

Getting specialist help

If your GP suspects you are suffering from narcolepsy, they should refer you to a sleep clinic to allow consultants who specialise in sleep medicine to assess your sleep pattern in more detail. Investigations may be used to confirm the diagnosis before advising you on appropriate treatment.

Help your GP to help you

To make the most of your consultation, it may help to take along the following materials to discuss with your GP on your initial consultation:

  • Complete an Epworth Sleepiness Scale questionnaire and take it with you to your appointment.

  • Keep a sleep diary so that it is clear when your symptoms occur and how severe they are. It can also encourage discussion and help make every consultation has valuable as possible for both you and your doctor.

If your GP suspects you may have narcolepsy, ask them to refer you to a sleep centre. You can find more info on UK sleep centres here.